Reading as a form of Discipleship

Our house is a mess of books. Every single room has a pile or basket or bookshelf. The kitchen has school related books, the living room is full of picture books, the dining room has the current books I am using to study the Bible, upstairs in each room there are books that suit the interests of the each soul who dwells there, even our van is full of picture and audio books. The library is part of our weekly rhythm. All this to say, we love books.

Here's the thing: I wasn't born loving to read. I remember my mom reading to me as a child but I don't remember ever finishing a book in high school. I was the spark notes queen. College & Seminary didn't fair much better, I was able to get by doing the bare minimum and lots of "skimming." Through the rest of my twenties reading one book in a year was a win. It wasn't until my late 20's when I decided to take reading God's word seriously that I began to fall in love with the written word in all it's forms. Through my own reading, particularly a book called The Read Aloud Handbook*,  I began to see the value of reading rich literature to my children as a form of discipleship.

I have heard pastor Matt Chandler say time and time again that it is our job as Christian parents to put kindling around our child's heart but it is the Holy Spirit's job to light the fire of faith. I believe reading good books is one way to put kindling around your child's heart.


I'm not talking about just reading the Bible, though that is invaluable and necessary. I never want to downplay God's word. The grass withers and the flower fades but the word of the Lord remains forever. (Isaiah 40:8) All other books are in subject The Book. But reading great works of fiction together, stories of hope, of defeat and triumph, of fighting for a greater cause, of family and friendship. Reading A.A. Milne, C.S. Lewis, S.D. Smith, Lucy Maude Montgomery, Roald Dahl these are books the that I see forming compassion, empathy, adventure, bravery, and so much more in my kids. There is a bond formed when you experience a story together, and that's one of my favorite fringe benefits.

It's not just character that is being built though, it is the love of story. God chose to reveal His plan of redemption through story and the written word. In my mind, there is a deep connection to helping my kids see the value of a beautiful story and helping them see the value in the Word of God. I know this has been incredibly true for me. It's not just children that need to read rich literature. The more I read both fiction and non fiction, the more my time in Scripture is illuminated. It's as if the Holy Spirit is opening up new pathways in my heart to receive Truth. And it is there that I find my longing to read grow more and more each day. To be able to know God more is the blessing.

*If you would like to learn more Honey for a Child's heart is another great place to start. Your library will almost certainly have a copy. I have also found the Read Aloud Revival podcast of great value as well another podcast called Storyformed. The Goodreads app is also my favorite place to go to see what my friends are reading. 




Comments